Saturday, February 17, 2007

The Jolt

The fire was about 1/2 between my house and the elementary school - but across the street.
I heard a huge "boom" and the house shook about 9:10 p.m. My first thought was, "Oh that must have been one of the earthquakes that's a jolt rather than a rumble." So I went outside to look see and notice a few folks walking north up Central. I really didn't see anything, but heard an alarm ringing and decided that it might be the school alarm. I went back inside to put on some shoes rather than slippers so I could walk up there — but by the time I got back outside the flames were about 8 stories high.

I don't know if I've been watching too many CSI shows or not; but the first thing I noticed was the apartment's kitchen stove laying next to the gutter. I deduced - gas explosion.

Yes there is a fire department is on the corner, but the first engines appeared to have come from downtown fire station. Regardless, where they came from, they were there in a matter of minutes.

The firemen did a terrific job. I'm sure for them it was both sad and exhilarating. I mean how often do you actually get to do - what you've been trained to do. What amazed me most is that they really had a plan, strategy if you will, and they went about executing on it as if it were a well choreographed dance.

Soon the newspaper photographers were there taking photos and the reporters were there interviewing the mayor, firefighters and witnessess.

The mayor did everything mayor's should do. He motivated the fire fighters, spoke with the families forced out of their homes and then stood back and offered words of encouragement whenever appropriate. I was happy to see so many being committed to be in service to others.

I offered friends and neighbors coffee and a use of the facilities should they need it and went back home and lit a candle and said a prayer. - Jack

No comments: